Cultural Institutions

Fort Hill at Clemson University

wordmark thumb

Fort Hill was the home of John C. Calhoun, South Carolina's pre-eminent 19th century statesman, from 1825 until his death in 1850. The antebellum plantation home, office and kitchen are furnished mostly with family artifacts.

John Caldwell Calhoun's national political career spanned 40 years from 1810 to 1850. His service in the national government included: United States representative (1811-1817); secretary of war to President James Monroe (1817-1825); vice president to President John Quincy Adams (1825-1829); vice president to President Andrew Jackson (1829-1832); United States senator (1832-1843); secretary of state to President John Tyler (1844-1845) and United States senator (1845-1850).

Thomas Green Clemson, Calhoun's son-in-law and founder of the University, envisioned "the preservation of the home of the illustrious man who spent his life in the public service of his country." Thomas Clemson willed that Fort Hill "shall always be open for the inspection of visitors."

Will Hiott,
Director & Curator

(864) 656-7920

Department of Historic Properties
101 Ft. Hill Street
Box 345615, Trustee House
Clemson University
Clemson, SC 29634